Saturday, January 9, 2010

Happy New Year!

OK, I know it's a little late, but I made a promise to myself that I would start my food blog once the New Year started. This is my attempt to electronically organize some of my favorite recipes and to also document my experiences with new recipes.

For New Year's Eve, my husband and I decided to host a party. Luckily, my amazing in-laws offered up their house for the party. We decided to throw a desserts and drinks party. I wanted to make fun, comfort food-like desserts.

The party turned out to be a success, and the desserts were a hit! Here's a list of what I made: monkey bread (aka - pull cake), rice krispie treats, chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate chip cookies, oreo truffles, muddie buddies, and New Year's cupcakes. The cupcakes are from Martha Stewart's Cupcake book (this blog will be filled with MS cupcake recipes b/c they're awesome!)
One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup warm water

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper liners. With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Reduce speed to low. Add eggs, buttermilk, oil, extract, and the water; beat until smooth and combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.

2. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake, rotating halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely.


Fluffy Vanilla Frosting (I halved this recipe)
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1. With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.

2. Reduce speed to medium. Add the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed; after every two additions, raise speed to high and beat 10 seconds to aerate frosting, then return to medium. This process should take about 5 minutes. Frosting will be pale and fluffy.

3. Add vanilla, and beat until frosting is smooth. If not using immediately, frosting can be refrigerated up to 10 days in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth again, about 5 minutes.


After frosting the cupcakes, I melted semisweet chocolate and let cool. I used a piping bag with a thin tip, like Wilton #4, and wrote the Roman Numerals. The clock hands are cut out of paper and were positioned at the time guests were set to arrive! Enjoy - this was pretty easy, and a lot of fun!

1 comment: