Friday, January 22, 2010

The Great Vanilla Bean

On my days off from work, I love to watch Food Network. Today I was watching 'Barefoot Contessa,' and she was making a dessert with vanilla sugar. I knew vanilla sugar existed, but I never realized how easy it was to "make." After doing some more internet research about vanilla beans, I realized that making homemade vanilla extract was an easy process as well.

I instantly became fascinated with making my own vanilla sugar and vanilla extract. Luckily, I knew the perfect place to get the fresh vanilla beans. I often complain to my husband about how we live in the middle of nowhere - the closest decent grocery store is at least 20 minutes away. However, one of many good things about living in New Jersey is the easy accessibility to fresh produce and groceries from farm markets. Our local farm market is open year round and always carries fresh vanilla beans. Score!
I can't wait to try out my vanilla sugar in 2 weeks and the vanilla extract in 8 weeks!

2 comments:

  1. It's on Delsea Dr. in Franklinville, called D'Agostino's. They're open year-round!!!

    ReplyDelete