Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snow Day Snickerdoodles

The South NJ/ Philly area has gotten a lot of snow recently, and my husband and I have become pros at hunkering down and enjoying the weather, despite the road conditions. Yesterday's snowfall totalled just around 17" for us, so we prepared the day before with the essentials - ingredients for guacamole, wine, whiskey, and something to bake - Snickerdoodles! These have turned into my FAVORITE cookie, and although I misplaced my favorite recipe (my friend, Ellie's recipe), I did find one that is very comparable.

In addition to my husband's help, I always have a steady sous chef in the kitchen. Meet Faolan (means 'wolf' in old Gaelic) enjoying the snow!

With family close by, snow days have turned into family gatherings. My mother- and father-in-law hosted this time around, and we served white chicken chili, beef stew, and many other wonderful things. I brought the Snickerdoodles!

Snickerdoodles
Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1.5 c. all purpose flour
4 tbsp. sugar
1.5 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 c. sugar, baking soda, and cream or tartar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Beat in as much flour you can with the mixer, and stir in remaining. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375. Combine the 4 tbsp. sugar and 1.5 tsp. cinnamon. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Place balls of dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment