Thursday, February 11, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Sausage Pizza

I am normally not a huge fan of buffalo flavorings. I do not like buffalo wings (gasp!) or anything smothered in that sauce. I prefer to eat the celery and blue cheese dressing that sits on the side of the plate. However, at the grocery store, I noticed they had a chicken sausage with buffalo flavoring. I decided to break from the mold and try it. I knew my husband would be happy since he LOVES wings.

I did not have a recipe in mind, so I just threw together a few ingredients that I thought would compliment the buffalo flavor.
Ingredients:
Pizza crust (I cheated and used a store-bought whole wheat crust)
Buffalo chicken sausage, 1 1/2 links, casings removed, crumbled
6 oz. Mozzarella cheese (depends on the size of your crust)
1 handful Crumbly blue cheese
1-2 tbsp. Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1/4 c. diced onion

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush pizza crust with olive oil and sprinkle garlic powder. Bake for 2-3 minutes (this helped us achieve an extra crispy crust.) Toss chicken sausage with the hot sauce. Remove crust from oven and layer toppings: mozzarella, chicken sausage, blue cheese, more mozzarella, and lastly onion. Allow to cook to your liking. We like crispy pizza so ours cooked for about 12 minutes on the oven rack directly - the cheese was bubbling and the onions had browned.

This was an easy weeknight meal with a perfect balance of heat, salt, and creamy-ness. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment