Monday, February 15, 2010

Comfort Food!

With the massive amount of snow we received AGAIN, I decided to make a pot of homemade spaghetti gravy and meatballs. (And yes, it's called "gravy" in my family - if it's made with meat, then it's a gravy!) This is an old family recipe that has been passed down the generations, so I'm going to continue to keep it an in-family recipe. However, I will tell you the ingredients of the meatballs, which in my biased opinion, are the BEST anywhere! (My husband agrees.)

My meatballs contain ground beef, a couple beaten eggs, white bread, salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic. The key to these meatballs is browning the outsides and then allowing them to fully cook in the simmering pot of spaghetti gravy. My biggest pet peeve with most restaurants' meatballs is that they are not up to par. I don't know how to explain it, but they are always.... what's the word?... I guess SLIMY is the only word I can use to describe them. Yuck, no thanks!

With the start of the Olympics, my husband and I decided to have a comfort food-style TV dinner: meatball sandwiches on crusty bread (from Liscio's Bakery), topped with mozzarella and a sprinkling of locatelli cheese. Yum!

What do you view as comfort food?

No comments:

Post a Comment