Monday, August 2, 2010

Carnitas with Homemade Guacamole and Salsa Verde

One of Philadelphia's best-known restaurateurs, Stephen Starr, opened a new Mexican restaurant in Philly, called El Rey. HOLY COW is this place good! It has a kitschy feel with casual Mexican food. The portions are actually tapas-sized and are encouraged to share. My 3 co-workers and I each ordered and item, and each were equally delicious. Since that night, I had been craving Mexican food, but carnitas in particular.

A' google searchin' I went... where I stumbled upon this recipe from Williams Sonoma. It was easy to put together, and it made the whole house smell delicious. We served our carnitas with flour tortillas, homemade guacamole, homemade salsa verde, and cotija cheese. Que delicioso!
I used this recipe for the salsa verde (I halved it, which still yielded a TON of salsa). This recipe calls for 'green chiles' - I used a poblano, which added a safe amount of heat. Enjoy - you will not be disappointed!

1 comment: