Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pull Cake/ Monkey Bread

Sweets do not get much better than pull cake/ monkey bread. I always knew this delicious, sweet, cinnamony treat as 'monkey bread;' however, when I met Jim, he always referred to it as 'pull cake.' Regardless of the name, this is an awesome treat for brunch or dessert.

Today I was lucky enough to have my nephew over for several hours. He's 9, going on 10, and is one of the best cooks/bakers that I know! Pull cake is one of his favorite things to make and of course, EAT! The following is my own adaptation with my nephew's special techniques:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 loaves of white bread dough, allowed to rise for 3-6 hours hours (I use frozen white bread dough, thawed, and then allowed to rise)
1 1/2 sticks of salted butter, melted
2 cups white sugar
approx. 4 tbsp. cinnamon

Directions:
Grease bundt pan with cooking spray. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut bread dough into bite-sized pieces. Dip the dough into butter and then into the cinnamon/sugar mixture and coat evenly; place into bundt pan. Repeat until all pieces are in the pan. Pour remaining butter over the bundt pan (if desired - this makes it extra gooey). Allow dough to re-rise in bundt pan, approximately one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Cover the bundt pan with foil and then allow the cake to cook for another 5 minutes.

Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then flip onto a plate. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment